the Prairie BBQ Association Forum Index
  the Prairie BBQ Association
This forum has been set up to talk about real Southern style BBQ, that is low and slow cooking AND to help in the building of all styles of "Homemade BBQ Pits".

Games  Calendar

NEWS:
the Prairie BBQ Association Forum Index -> Equipment -> stoker log by amir
  Post stoker log by amir - Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote  
glock907
BBQ Nut

:

Items

what are all of these widows under the fire control section of the screen?
what is email logging? what is http only? when would you check the keep warm box? what does it mean if it says fuel usage 85%?

Post  - Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote  
SStory
BBQ IDOL

:

Items

disclaimer -- Barry, ignore this thread Laughing

I'm not sure exactly which windows you are talking about. Post a picture and I'll try and help explain. I use Amir's Stokerlog program all the time and its great.

As far as the email logging, if you have your Stoker tied back into your router, you can get Stokerlog configured to send you emails to work or via text message to your phone. So you can get status updates of a cook when you aren't at home. I can't do that right now since I use a wireless router with my Stoker box. The router I use is not a wireless bridge, so it is not connected into my main router that is connected to the broadband. So from my laptop, I can either connect to the main router and have internet access, or I can connect to the wireless router with the Stoker and then monitor the Stoker with the stokerlog program.

The "HTTP only" mode is for those that have problems connecting via the normal method -- you lose some functionality and there is a little delay in temp readings. It's sort of like the Windows "safe mode".

You would use the "keep warm" box only if you are cooking one piece of meat. Say you put a pork butt on in the morning and went to work thinking it would be done by 6pm. If somehow it got done at 4pm and you aren't home, it would be overdone if allowed to continue cooking at your set temp. But by setting the "keep warm" box, when your meat hits the target temp you have set, the Stoker will then idle the temp back in the smoker to keep the meat above the 140 internal temp area (this would be the safe temp for meat). I've never used it because rarely am I just cooking 1 piece of meat -- even cooking multiple of the same type, they all seem to get done at various times due to thickness.

I don't think you can judge anything by the fuel usage. Maybe for a WSM (since that is what Amir used when he designed this application). But for my Stump clone, that figure doesn't mean anything and I ignore it.

Use the features of Stokerlog that make the most sense to you -- it has more bells and whistes than most people need. But they are there if/when you do need them. Play around with Stokerlog just by having Stoker connected with the fan and 1 temp probe in the house --- not even for a cook. Set the target temp up and watch the fan come on. Then lower the target temp and watch the fan stop. Get to know the program and you'll soon love using it.

My Toys:
Stumper clone (Stoker controlled)
Some old gasser grill

Post  - Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote  
jet_deck
BBQ IDOL

:

Items

Glock907-

Stick close to SStory on anything stoker or computer. He is the forum resident on anything stoker (with YEARS of use), in fact he has a t-shirt that says "Been there, Smoked that" to prove it. Exclamation Laughing

WSM
http://www.radiofreetexas.org/

Post  - Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote  
glock907
BBQ Nut

:

Items

what did i o wrong - i checked the box to keep warm but the fan stayed on even after the meat was done?

Post  - Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote  
SStory
BBQ IDOL

:

Items

Did it not set the target temp of the smoker back down? And you checked the "keep warm" next to the temp probe for the meat you were cooking - not the pit temp sensor?

If you did everything right, I'd post a question out to Amir on the Virtual Webber forum. I've never used that feature, I just know what it is supposed to do.

My Toys:
Some old gasser grill

Post  - Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote  
glock907
BBQ Nut

:

Items

no it looks as though it may have locked it in at my target temp

Post  - Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
SStory
BBQ IDOL

:

Items

I just want to make sure I understand... you set the checkbox to "keep warm" on the same line as the meat probe sensor -- correct? What was the target temp set to on the meat? What was the target temp set for on the pit probe? When the meat probe reached the target temp, did the target temp for the pit probe change? It should have also changed the target temp on the meat probe to 140 (safe holding temp). I'm not sure what the pit probe temp would have been changed to, but it should have dropped in order to let the meat temp probe start dropping (but not lower than 140).

I'd ping Amir on the other board to verify it's working correctly though. I just have never used it to verify what it's supposed to do.

My Toys:
Some old gasser grill

the Prairie BBQ Association Forum Index -> Equipment -> stoker log by amir All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1