The Pinnacle@Duxton, Singapore Forum IndexThe Pinnacle@Duxton, Singapore
A Forum for discussion among present and future Pinnacle@Duxton owners and others.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in          Games  Calendar

NEWS:
How to maintain white floor tiles?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pinnacle@Duxton, Singapore Forum Index -> Anything about Pinnacle@Duxton
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modernguru
27th Storey Sky Garden
27th Storey Sky Garden

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: How to maintain white floor tiles? Reply with quote

Hi friends @ Pinnacle

I have noticed my white floor tiles turning abit off-white. Pls share how to keep & maintain your flooring squeaky clean & white?

A friend suggested I use Jif to scrub every floor tile ... *faint* help
Nauxvn
Ground Level
Ground Level

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same for us. We happen to replace 2 tiles with homogeneous one. After a while, the tiles that we replaced still "sparkling white" but all other existing tiles provided by HDB are becoming "off-white" despite of the fact that we clean the floor quite often. Also notice that it is very easily stained Sad .. Not sure how you all maintain them.
psyoyo
35th Storey
35th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with mine. The rubber studs under my dining chairs keep staining the floor. Sad We clean the floor frequently, but the stains need serious scrubbing. I think modernguru's friend is right abt using cif.... same with the bathroom floors. Need cif to scrub stains off....
Fia
45th Storey
45th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method... Don't look at the floor too often. See no evil... Laughing
modernguru
27th Storey Sky Garden
27th Storey Sky Garden

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When can we have these tiles changed? After 3yrs?

Anyone did an overlay (ie timber stripes ..etc) or raised a platform? How much does it cost?
dXter

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change floor tiles after a year, warranty against such defects only covered for a year~

Now then I notice a few off-whitish spots after you mentioned.
xianwei
20th Storey
20th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with cleaning the tiles is that if you clean one tile, it looks very different from the rest.

any normal cleaner like jif works, or else the melamine sponges from japan also work to clean the tiles very well
ArieLCandy
25th Storey
25th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our tiles are also turning off-white although we mop clean the floor everyday with water mixed with little bit of floor detergent. guess this is nature of wear & tear and the tiles' natural qualities. our homogeneous tiles are although harder clay stones but will also easily stained especially white is obvious and moreover it's still not advisable to use very harsh chemical to wash them. i also wish to change tiles, especially to either marble, granite or limestone but how to change or hack after having some built-in carpentry around. i love those shiny volakas marble - white marble with grey veins pattern. very elegant for home. sigh... but how to hack & change? i guess perhaps i have to live with the current homogeneous tiles for the next 10 to 20 years before planning to revamp the whole flat or if we ever move to a new flat (not our plan). let me check with my colleagues in the project side @ work or ask some of the sub-con who work with some of our projects on how to maintain & clean homo-tiles.
Laughing
psyoyo
35th Storey
35th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArieLCandy wrote:
our tiles are also turning off-white although we mop clean the floor everyday with water mixed with little bit of floor detergent. guess this is nature of wear & tear and the tiles' natural qualities. our homogeneous tiles are although harder clay stones but will also easily stained especially white is obvious and moreover it's still not advisable to use very harsh chemical to wash them. i also wish to change tiles, especially to either marble, granite or limestone but how to change or hack after having some built-in carpentry around. i love those shiny volakas marble - white marble with grey veins pattern. very elegant for home. sigh... but how to hack & change? i guess perhaps i have to live with the current homogeneous tiles for the next 10 to 20 years before planning to revamp the whole flat or if we ever move to a new flat (not our plan). let me check with my colleagues in the project side @ work or ask some of the sub-con who work with some of our projects on how to maintain & clean homo-tiles.
Laughing

if they can come up with a way that doesn't involve scrubbing on all fours, that'll be great!!!!! btw, our tiles are ceramic or homo tiles? i kept thinking ours were ceramic tiles?
ArieLCandy
25th Storey
25th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyoyo wrote:
ArieLCandy wrote:
Laughing

if they can come up with a way that doesn't involve scrubbing on all fours, that'll be great!!!!! btw, our tiles are ceramic or homo tiles? i kept thinking ours were ceramic tiles?

Laughing hahaa ok will check. and also one more disturbing fact is that the grout lines are turning darker & darker....
ours are homo tiles for living & dining area. homo tiles can maintain very shiny like white marble lookalike. hehee.... then, ceramic are for the bathrooms & kitchen floor + wall and yard floor.
A25
27th Storey Sky Garden
27th Storey Sky Garden

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyoyo... try wrappin d rubber studs wif cloth... like dat wun stain d floor liao... dis is wad we did Very Happy
leo_wen_sg
15th Storey
15th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Our homogenous tiles stain very very easily. Probably have to find one weekend to solve this issue once and for all.

Mixed ammonia with a cleaning solution (non-bleach) and scrub the tiles.

Clean grouting line and use white grout marker if necessary.

Final step is to apply "Future" acrylic top coat over the tiles. It acts something like "car wax" that covers the surface of the tiles and protect it from stains. Due to it's acrylic properties, it also makes the floor super shiny.

Really quite a fair bit of effort there but i think might be worth it.
Simontemplar23
Basement Carpark
Basement Carpark

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: slippery toilet tiles Reply with quote

Anybody noticed how slippery the toilet tiles are? I really wondered why HDB installed such slippery tiles. Had to do anti-slip layer on it.
psyoyo
35th Storey
35th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: slippery toilet tiles Reply with quote

Simontemplar23 wrote:
Anybody noticed how slippery the toilet tiles are? I really wondered why HDB installed such slippery tiles. Had to do anti-slip layer on it.

actually i was thinking whether i was thinking too much, but i do find my common toilet floor more slippery than my MBR toilet floor. Anyway, we try to keep the floors dry too. Mop after flood. Very Happy
mikeandjopng
Basement Carpark
Basement Carpark

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.
I had a problem with keeping my white tiles sparkling and squeeky clean too... Tried so many liquid cleaners and yet, the floor was dull and patchy... Now, I have found the Kiwi Kleen Floor Wax works very well for me..... the white tiles look shinier (as when I first moved in)... you all might want to try it.... Very Happy
psyoyo
35th Storey
35th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeandjopng wrote:
Hi all.
I had a problem with keeping my white tiles sparkling and squeeky clean too... Tried so many liquid cleaners and yet, the floor was dull and patchy... Now, I have found the Kiwi Kleen Floor Wax works very well for me..... the white tiles look shinier (as when I first moved in)... you all might want to try it.... Very Happy

Sorry, the kiwi kleen floor wax is the one for parquet floors? You can also use this for white tiles?
mikeandjopng
Basement Carpark
Basement Carpark

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have two types - one for Parquet, and one that says Wax floor (I think it will indicate the types of floors i.e. homogenous, ceramic etc...) Take the one that says for ceramic etc..
I bought mine from TP ntuc. Wink
mikeandjopng
Basement Carpark
Basement Carpark

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemme go back home tonight and double confirm the bottle... i'll take a pic and post it :-)
ArieLCandy
25th Storey
25th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked with a couple of my colleagues regarding the maintenance of homo-tiles and I'm rather disappointed... Sad They said that there's no way to repolish this type of tile (unlike marble) but to just wipe and clean daily. White homo-tiles no matter what will turn off white due to wear & tear. Then another factor is if use harsh chemical, the residue will also change the color in due time. Nothing much can do except taking risk or try out luck in using some cleaners to maintain.

Last week was window shopping in Taka and bought a multi-purpose powder cleaner from the household department. It was around $22++ comes in a plastic tumbler form. It stated that it can be used on ceramic, stainless steel, chrome to remove stains. I went home and tried scrubbing my homo-tiles with it and it worked wonders!

>Sorry psyoyo... gotta disappoint you that you still need to scrub the floor on all fours.... Confused

Some of the grouts lines became less darker now and the tiles looked very very clean although its not totally white but looked slightly lighter than before. I'll take a pic of the product and post here when I reach home tonight.
Think this is quite surprising result I gotten.
Very Happy
ArieLCandy
25th Storey
25th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pictures of the homo-tiles after using the multi-purpose cleaner. I forgot to take pictures of "before" to compare but we could tell the differences when we look at the tiles now. The tiles picture doesn't quite justify the result but there are some parts of the grout lines really turned slightly lighter after one use. The product is Quickleen Multi-purpose Cleaner. Maybe I'd try this cleaning once a week for first few weeks and then change to once a month after that. We used a bristle brush added with some of this cleaning powder + water to scrub the floors first and then wipe off with clean wet cloth. Think this cleaner can also be found in supermarkets & DIY stores but I didn't notice earlier.

Thanks leo_wen_sg & mikeandjopng for sharing & recommendation. Sounds interesting. Maybe I'd try the Kiwi Kleen Floor Wax to buffer in the shine after the scrubbing Laughing

mikeandjopng
Basement Carpark
Basement Carpark

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

need 5 postings to post URL....
mikeandjopng
Basement Carpark
Basement Carpark

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeandjopng
Basement Carpark
Basement Carpark

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ArielCandy,

Wow! Nice shiny floor you have there! cool!! Cool
I forgot to take a pic of my floor, but here are the floor cleaning liquid that I use to mop the homo tiles and the parquet... They work for me, so just thought I share with y'all...

Armadillo
45th Storey
45th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC & mikeandjopng, thanks for sharing, will check that out too.
bcos my wife use micro sponge to clean the tile piece by piece sweat
psyoyo
35th Storey
35th Storey

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad, seems like cannot run away from cinderella fate.... Time to activate husband v.101! naughty

Anywayz, thanks for sharing the brands! All good neighbours share good info. hee...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Pinnacle@Duxton, Singapore Forum Index -> Anything about Pinnacle@Duxton All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: