FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar

NEWS:
Ferrites Noise Filter Cable Clips for audio setups.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Accessories Corner for AV & Car audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobcatSysOp

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Ferrites Noise Filter Cable Clips for audio setups. Reply with quote

Just sharing some information with bros here. For EMI interference and to take care of hum and noise in audio power cables and interconnects (RCA), I have been using these TDK branded Noise Filter Cable Clip Ferrites that I initially used when I first installed my I.C.E. in Apr 2006.

Here is a picture of how it looks like.

Recently, I had installed the newer bigger and heavier Ferrites for just the power cables at my ANL fuse holder at the battery. The smaller one is for 14awg speaker cables. Both bro Spinworkx and me had installed these ferrites and it does help to produce cleaner sound with reduction of EMI interference. I had also installed these ferrites to the power cable and my interconnects for my home stereo setup. Anyway, it is just a very small investment.

Price wise the bigger ones that can accommodate up to 4awg cables (not 0 gauge) costing $4.50 ea while the smaller one for 14awg speaker cables cost about $2.50 to $3.00 each all obtainable from Continental Electronic Enterprise Unit #B1-25 Sim Lim Tower, 10 Jln Besar, Singapore 208787. Telephone : 6293 4674 near corner staircase.
aka Bob|Latio May08|ICE:Apr06|Pioneer DEH-80PRS 2-way active|MP7 Series|Steg K24 x 2|Sub 10in GZUW_10|Steg QM120.2X|Raion RCA|TchernovAudio Power Cables 4awg DC power|Shok Ref 12awg Speaker Cables FW12|1xEz-Stab|2xHelix33 Baby Cap
Home entry level:NAD521BEE CDP|AVR Onkyo HT-R340|Pioneer S-D7 3-way|Onkyo Sub SKW-360|Monster Interlink 250|Speaker cables: Silver Coated strip blue AWG12

Last edited by BobcatSysOp on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jackiec
Level 6
Level 6

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah... something new for me... google it and here's some info:

What is EMI and RFI?
EMI and RFI are similar and often have the same causes and solutions. RFI is interference or noise that is radiated - essentially, radio waves. EMI includes RFI but also includes non-radiated interference, such as line noise coming in from power or control lines. From here on we will use only EMI, as treatments are basically the same.

EMI can come from many sources. Almost everything in your home or car emits some EMI, including fluorescent lights, TV's, cordless phones, electric tools, auto ignition, etc. In solar and DC systems you often have additional sources, such as switching power supplies, charge controllers, DC light ballasts, and inverters (especially modified sine wave types).

Suppression

This is relatively new and often the most effective. The most common method uses Ferrite chokes, cores, and beads. Ferrites are powdered molded metal powders cast into various shapes and sizes. Ferrites are actually ceramics with . They are usually made of powdered Iron Oxide (Fe2O3), along with Zinc, Copper, Zinc, and other metal oxides.

Radio and TV interference from solar equipment and many DC operated items, especially fluorescent lights and solar charge controls is a growing problem. RFI/EMI noise radiated from DC and solar equipment can cause noise problems in AM radios, cell phones, cordless phones, TV and sometimes in other electronic equipment.

Multiple units of same or different types may be used in severe cases.

Ferrite suppressor cores are simple to use, and are comparatively economical in both price and space. Ferrite suppressors have been successfully employed for attenuating EMI in computers and related products, switching power supplies, electronic automotive ignition systems, and garage doors openers, to name just a few.

When clamped on a cable, these 31 & 44 material cores attenuate conducted EMI from 5-1000 MHz.

source: http://store.solar-electric.com/nosufefi.html
BobcatSysOp

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackiec wrote:
ah... something new for me... google it and here's some info:
source: http://store.solar-electric.com/nosufefi.html

Thanks for sharing such useful information. Appreciate it very much.
aka Bob|Latio May08|ICE:Apr06|Pioneer DEH-80PRS 2-way active|MP7 Series|Steg K24 x 2|Sub 10in GZUW_10|Steg QM120.2X|Raion RCA|TchernovAudio Power Cables 4awg DC power|Shok Ref 12awg Speaker Cables FW12|1xEz-Stab|2xHelix33 Baby Cap
Home entry level:NAD521BEE CDP|AVR Onkyo HT-R340|Pioneer S-D7 3-way|Onkyo Sub SKW-360|Monster Interlink 250|Speaker cables: Silver Coated strip blue AWG12
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boring
Level 7
Level 7

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with these gadgets. In home audio we run away from these things. Yes they do suppress EMI, they also suppress the sound
Music Room : Esound CD5 | Lenco 75 on Slate PTP | Norh ACA 2b pre (reconstructed) | Parasound HCA2200 | USHER Be718 (x-over mod)
Living Room : Squeezebox Touch | Emotiva XDA-1 | ClassD SDS-258 Kit | Magnepan 1.6QR
dunnounme

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boring wrote:
Be careful with these gadgets. In home audio we run away from these things. Yes they do suppress EMI, they also suppress the sound

But if used on power cables should be ok right?
ICE: VW RNS-510 HU | Audio Control LC8i | Alpine PXA-H701 + C701 | DLS Iridium Tweeters and UP2.5 Highmids + Seas Lotus Ref Midbass (3-way Active) | Zed Audio Leviathan III | JL Audio 12W3v2-D4 Sub | Rockford P300.1 Monoblock | UPOCC Cables

Home Audio: Usher CD-1 | Pop Pulse T-Amp | Travagans 3" Full Range | Silver plated Military Spec speaker cables | Maruni I/C
Home Theatre: LG LH-T7652SB
built
Level 7
Level 7

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunnounme wrote:
boring wrote:

But if used on power cables should be ok right?

can you hear the effect of of EMI & RFI on your system?

will you hear a "better" difference after "ferrite"-ing?

i am not sure but i think boring is right. i know a sifu in
home hifi that uses hundreds if not thousands of those
gizmo. to him, EQ. but the sound is dry and dead to me.
jackiec
Level 6
Level 6

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps uncle bob and spinworkz bro can do some testint Wink
kyheng
Level 9
Level 9

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how good these gadgets are.
I'm assuming only(correct me if I'm wrong)
When the current travel fast(high load) on the power wire, it will generate interference(noise), but when current travel slow(low load) the interference(noise) will be lesser.
built
Level 7
Level 7

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm, i am not sure either... but what would be the right speed
for current?
musicexpression
Level 3
Level 3

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyheng wrote:
I don't know how good these gadgets are.
I'm assuming only(correct me if I'm wrong)
When the current travel fast(high load) on the power wire, it will generate interference(noise), but when current travel slow(low load) the interference(noise) will be lesser.

current travels at same speed. as fast as the speed of electron travels. be it high or low current, clean/dirty current, noise or music, static/interference noise.
kyheng
Level 9
Level 9

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I starting to get the point...
But what makes the difference between 50amp and 100amp accross the wire? This question has been bothering me for a long time already...
built
Level 7
Level 7

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean cable rating? if measured at 50A and 100A,
it could be different voltage.
kyheng
Level 9
Level 9

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should make the question clearer....
Given a fixed wire and voltage, which is 1/0AWG, what's the difference when the current draw of 50amp and 100amp?
built
Level 7
Level 7

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not 100% sure; but from the link nothing will happen to the
cable because it has been way over sized.

http://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp

any sifu can confirm?
slidingturtle
Level 4
Level 4

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pic of someone who looks like a big believer in ferrets...

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/319370/car/216010/999662/parts.aspx
jackiec
Level 6
Level 6

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked
maxngck
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi!

actually i oso wanted to put the ferrite ring in between the power cable that connect the fuse but just worried that the engine bay is too hot that the ring cover which is made of plastic will melt. i left it there for awhile but when tk it out, it is really hot leh. will it melt?
dunnounme

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it will melt.

To me, putting it on the power cable should be ok, since power cable don't carry sound signals. I'll not put it on RCA cables.
ICE: VW RNS-510 HU | Audio Control LC8i | Alpine PXA-H701 + C701 | DLS Iridium Tweeters and UP2.5 Highmids + Seas Lotus Ref Midbass (3-way Active) | Zed Audio Leviathan III | JL Audio 12W3v2-D4 Sub | Rockford P300.1 Monoblock | UPOCC Cables

Home Audio: Usher CD-1 | Pop Pulse T-Amp | Travagans 3" Full Range | Silver plated Military Spec speaker cables | Maruni I/C
Home Theatre: LG LH-T7652SB
built
Level 7
Level 7

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wa-lao-eh!
that's some ferrite-ing! Cool
BobcatSysOp

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxngck wrote:
hi!

actually i oso wanted to put the ferrite ring in between the power cable that connect the fuse but just worried that the engine bay is too hot that the ring cover which is made of plastic will melt. i left it there for awhile but when tk it out, it is really hot leh. will it melt?

There are 2-3 kinds of ferrites sold in SLT. The smaller ones like the TDK are plastic but the bigger heavier black round ones are not. Check out the picture in earlier posting in this same thread: http://www.phpbbserver.com/sgcaraudio/viewtopic.php?p=5307&mforum=sgcaraudio#5307
spinworkx

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunnounme wrote:
Don't think it will melt.

To me, putting it on the power cable should be ok, since power cable don't carry sound signals. I'll not put it on RCA cables.

Maybe there's should be a thread about this? What's the difference between putting it on the power vs RCA..
I personally have it on both...
I tried the RCA with and without and i find that with sounds cleaner....
Anyone else disagrees with putting it on the RCA and advice against it?
HU:Pioneer P80 RSII|Speaker:Ground Zero Uranium GZUC 165X|Amp:Ground Zero Uranium GZUA 4125SQ
Home HiFi
CD: Marantz CD5001 | Amp: Marantz PM5003
Speakers: Morel Supremo/Elate Bookshelf
BobcatSysOp

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinworkx wrote:

Maybe there's should be a thread about this? What's the difference between putting it on the power vs RCA..
I personally have it on both...
I tried the RCA with and without and i find that with sounds cleaner....
Anyone else disagrees with putting it on the RCA and advice against it?

As for me, I had one ferrite on each and every RCA from behind the HU as well as one ferrite each on the same RCA at the other end just before the amp since I installed my ICE since Apr 2006. Also recently added, one ferrite from the battery before ANL fuse and one more immediately after that same power cable immediately after the ANL fuse.

Anyone disagrees?.. Bro Boring had posted this in this same thread: In home audio we run away from these things. Yes they do suppress EMI, they also suppress the sound.

Last edited by BobcatSysOp on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
wankie
Level 8
Level 8

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slidingturtle wrote:
pic of someone who looks like a big believer in ferrets...

holy ferrites batman! Laughing Laughing

i will kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer -- Homer Simpson
spinworkx

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the question here is...to use it on RCA or not?
On power cables, we all know it's ok and good..but for RCA, some say it helps, some say it cancels out sound as well...

So does it really do that? Is EMI the same as sound signals? Anyone care to elaborate on this?

I've personally tried again with and without and not much difference, but i do fine with a little cleaner...maybe it's psychological...by the time i get out of the car to remove/put back the ferrites to the RCA i might have already forgotten the other sound Smile

Anyways, i found this article about ferrites, http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf
Who is very free can give it a read and maybe explain to me what it says hehe...i read but it's alien to me man..

Also, i've searched online and again, some cable manufacturers and DIY guys actually say Ferrites help on RCA while others stay away from it...again, similar to this forum....there's no real answer if it is good or bad for RCA..
HU:Pioneer P80 RSII|Speaker:Ground Zero Uranium GZUC 165X|Amp:Ground Zero Uranium GZUA 4125SQ
Home HiFi
CD: Marantz CD5001 | Amp: Marantz PM5003
Speakers: Morel Supremo/Elate Bookshelf
slidingturtle
Level 4
Level 4

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

built wrote:
wa-lao-eh!
that's some ferrite-ing! Cool

wankie wrote:

holy ferrites batman! Laughing Laughing

my exact feelings when i saw the pics... well, every man has his poison... Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Accessories Corner for AV & Car audio All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: